CeC Story # 9- Loneliness and Compassion

Randy is pretty much independent from us. He works as a knowledge worker at CeC San Isidro and we do not see each other often. Sometimes I visit him to ask about how I can help as CeC Manager, but oftentimes I just communicate with him via text messages. I was also in constant contact with Kapitan Ruping, the Barangay Chief and his boss in the barangay, who provides him with a monthly allowance, office supplies and others.

Randy used to be a call center agent. He was doing fine until one day, his mother got very sick. He had to resign from his job to personally take care of her. His sister who lives in Taguig is married and cannot join him. Every once in a while, she visits.

Things happen for a reason. At about this time, the knowledge worker at the barangay CeC wanted to finish his college education and wanted to resign. One thing led to another and Randy found himself as the new knowledge worker in the Barangay CeC.

His work at the CeC starts at 2:30 pm and ends at 5 p.m. He was taking care of his mother the whole time. He solicits the assistance of relatives and neighbours to look after his mother during his classes. This arrangement went on until his mother died of cardiac arrest. As we offered our sympathies and condolences and conducted a prayer vigil, we also experienced the pain he had in his heart. It was heart breaking!

Randy is a very conscientious and compassionate teacher. Under his watch, CeC San Isidro was able to issue certificates of completion to at least 400 clients.

After the death of his mother, Randy now has free time in his hands. Before going to his afternoon class, Randy visits clients in their homes to teach free computer literacy using his own laptop. His first student was Amelia, a day care worker and a dialysis patient. She wanted to really learn how to use the computer so she can better prepare her test papers. She also wanted to understand what her two children, who studied computer literacy at the barangay CeC, are doing. This went on for two months only because Amelia, who became her close friend, died of renal failure.

I had a difficult time connecting with Randy after that. He does not answer my text messages and my phone calls. I went to his CeC and he is not there. I went to his house and nobody knew where he is. So I talked to Kapitan Ruping to help me find him. Several days after that, I saw Randy at my office. “What happened?” I asked. His eyes were moist. “I was at my sister in Taguig. I need to have the feel of having a family. I felt so alone and lonely. I cannot function well. I need to belong. My mother is gone, my best friend is gone. It was dreadful and horrifying. I am sorry,” he narrated. Now my eyes too were bleary.

After some counselling and assurance, I asked him to return to his work and be with us again. I told him to consider our CeC group as his family.

Last time I visited him, he was happily working with his students at the CeC. He told me that he is now visiting the house of the Barangay Secretary who wants to learn how to prepare barangay reports and communications using the computer. His next target for another free computer literacy training at home is the Barangay Animal Health Worker who signified his intention to study the computer at home.

During weekends, he is in Taguig with his sister.

By Linda Navarro Balbuena, CeC Manager, CeC Malvar

Post a Comment

0 Comments